1/15/09

Butter

Yes. Butter. I was thrilled to learn I could bottle butter. My kids all think I have a butter fetish because I buy lots of butter. I don’t like to be out, so I usually prepare very well in the butter department. Now I can really prepare. This is actually kind of fun. The information below was taken from the following website: www.endtimesreport.com/canning_butter . There is other information both pro and con about this subject, so if you are curious google “canning butter” and you can research all you wish. I made the choice to can butter as there are people who have had good success. I am just happy there is a choice and a way to store butter other than powdered or frozen. All good methods, so variety couldn't hurt.



One pound of butter slightly more than fills one pint jar, so if you are doing 12 jars, melt 11 pounds of butter. If you are doing 1/2 pints, you will need 5-1/2 pounds of butter. The better quality the butter, the less shaking will be required during the process. The lesser quality brands will still work for the same results. I buy my butter at Costco, and I get the salted kind.
Preparing Jars and Lids
Turn your oven to 350º. Place 1/2 pint, or pint jars on 12”x18” baking sheet, or in a large flat roaster pan. Put them in the oven for at least 20 minutes without lids or bands.


Prepare lids by putting them into a pan of hot, simmering water (that's what the manufacturer's recommend) for 5 minutes, and use the magnetic "lid lifter wand" to pull them out.



Preparing butter
In at least a 6 quart stock pot, melt butter slowly until it comes to a slow boil (butter will “grow” as it heats through so pot should be large enough to allow this), stirring constantly along the bottom of the pot to keep the butter from scorching. Reduce heat and simmer for at least 5 minutes.* A good simmer time will lessen the amount of shaking required later.
Remove the jars from the oven. Stirring the melted butter from the bottom to the top with a soup ladle, fill heated jars carefully leaving 3/4” headspace. You need this room for the shaking process.



Thoroughly wipe clean jar rims, attach lids and bands. Lids will seal as the jars cool. Once a few of the lids “ping”, and when jars are still warm, but cool enough to handle, gently shake the jars to keep the butter from separating. You may need to do this several times until the butter retains the same consistency throughout the jar. Sometimes the lids will pop back up, but they should “ping” again and will stay sealed as jar cools. If you have lids that don’t seal, re-heat the jars after washing and repeat process.



While butter jars are still slightly warm, put the jars on a tray and put into refrigerator. While cooling and hardening, shake again and the melted butter will then look like butter and become firm. This final shaking is very important. Check every five minutes and give the jars a shake until they are hardened in the jar. Leave in refrigerator for an hour.
Storing Your Jars
After removing from the refrigerator, place on a cool, dark shelf. Canned butter should store for 3 years or longer.

* If butter separates during cooking, you can still can it. It just won’t have the creamy texture of butter, but can be used on everything except maybe spreading on bread. If you only use the darker yellow clear liquid that floats to the top, and not get any of the lighter yellow milk fat into your jars, you would have “clarified” butter. It is better for you as there is less fat, and better that it is a natural product in your body. Margarine and other diet spreads are just chemicals and don’t assimilate into your body the same.

2 comments:

Taya said...

I am so glad that I sent you to my class as proxy!!! Now we all can learn... I knew the butter thing was right up your alley!!!!! Now you'll have to come and help me when I have the $$$ to get some on my shelves!

Anonymous said...

Awesome info!

The Recipe File

It was impossible to visit with Nana and not get into the recipe file. This is no small file. Tracy, Sydney and I have all at one time or another attempted to typeset the recipes in this file only to be overwhelmed. Since no one person is up to the task of immortalizing this life's work of recipes, it would be great if everyone participates. As you need recipes for different things you can take them and typeset them, or scan them however you would like to do them. Then post them on this site to contribute your part in all this.  Please add a label to your posts so we can eventually go in and organize by category. It was Nana's dream to have a book that would help us all with the various things we will make in our kitchens. She spent a lifetime perfecting her craft and was truly amazing. When we feel we have done her justice, we will organize a book and have copies printed for all of us. I hope as we contribute not only her recipes, but some of our own as well we will remember how much she loved to bring people together over good food. It will be such a tribute to her if we can enjoy this endeavor, enjoy each other and enjoy the memories we all have in our hearts.