An all time favorite for the clan. This recipe came to us from my in-laws long ago and far away. Through the years we have come to love it, especially for the “special” dinners. Nana always liked to be our guest when I made this. I don't have the exact quantities down, but I will approximate. Things can always be adjusted to the way you like your food. I generally buy top round for the meat, but london broil works as well as many other cuts. In the original recipe the meat was cut into large pieces, like a serving of steak. I always ended up cutting it into small pieces for the kids, so I just started cutting it in small bite size pieces to begin with. We decided we liked it that way, so I still do that. I usually make this in a small electric roaster, but a crock-pot would work just fine. Grumpy was nice and did all the cutting for the photos here.
The onions should be cut into 1/2" rings. I have cut them thinner, and cut the rings in half but it is just your preference. If you have about 5 lbs. of steak, cut at least 3 good sized onions. I use regular yellow/brown onions, but mayan sweets are good also. Again, personal taste.
In a large skillet, drizzle some canola or light olive oil and bring up to medium heat. Dredge steak in flour and brown in skillet. The meat doesn't have to be done inside, just browned on both sides. When browned transfer to roaster or crock-pot. When all the meat is browned, place the onions in the skillet and saute until nice and brown. They should be tender but not overdone. Add onions to roaster or crock-pot. I have been known to add a little fresh minced garlic to the onions. Our family loves garlic and so I put about 3 cloves (chopped fine) in.
For the 5 lbs. of steak, you will need about 2 quarts of canned whole tomatoes, cut up. I have also used some the tomato mix Tracy and I canned and it is good in Swiss Steak. Pour off the water in the jar or can of tomatoes, but save in case you need the liquid. Cut the tomatoes up to the size you like and add to the roaster. Check to see how much liquid you have. If it seems a little dry for simmering for a couple hours, add some of the tomato juice back in. Consistency should be like a thick stew. Salt and Pepper to taste. I like a good amount of tomatoes, so if you think it needs a few more add until you like the ratio and consistency of your mixture.
Simmer for about 2 hours on medium to low setting. We like our Swiss Steak over rice, so I make a batch of rice in the rice cooker. I got used to the rice in Okinawa when we lived there and the closest thing I can find to that here is the Calrose or SunWest (fancy) brands that I can get at Costco, or even Smart and Final. It is a short grain variety and we like the flavor. I'm sure any rice would be fine - whatever you like. Grandma Dorothy serves her steak in larger pieces so it's like a piece of steak with a thick sauce on it. They have baked potatoes as their side. It's all good.
If you think it needs thickening toward the end of cooking time, just add a little Ultra Gel. It is the easiest to work with. Another way is to make a flour and water (or beef stock) mixture like you would for gravy and add that. It would need to simmer for a while to thicken with that mixture.
I hope you enjoy this dish, it is great for winter nights and to take in to people. It is also something you could make from your bottled/canned food in your pantry.
No comments:
Post a Comment