8/19/09

Nana's Fudge

Lacy is our resident fudge maker as far as I know. She spent some time with Nana learning her technique and getting pans of fudge made for her gift list. I wish I had pictures, but alas, I do not. I have had so many neighbors come up to me and say how much they miss this sweet treat Nana would make for them at Christmas. She and Papa would make a list of who needed fudge in the neighborhood and then she would set about cooking the batches. They would always do a chocolate batch and a blond batch for all of us in addition to their neighbors. Then a bow on the top and a maybe a tag and they would deliver their decadent dishes. This made memories for lots of people.

4 1/2 C. Sugar
1 15 oz. can Evaporated Milk
2 T. light cornsyrup (Karo)
2 sticks butter or margarine
1 pint jar Marshmallow Creme
2 t. vanilla
1 12oz pkg. chocolate chips
2 C. chopped nuts
walnuts, pecans, almonds, you decide.
Combine first three ingredients in medium saucepan. Bring to a boil while washing inside of sauce pan down with pastry brush and water. Boil over medium heat to a soft ball - 238º-240º on candy thermometer. Remove from heat. In a mixing bowl combine the rest of the ingredients except the nuts. Pour hot sugar mixture in mixing bowl and beat until smooth and cooled. Add nuts and pour into buttered pan. Cut when completely cooled and set.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hers is the only fudge I eat!!! YUM!

The Recipe File

It was impossible to visit with Nana and not get into the recipe file. This is no small file. Tracy, Sydney and I have all at one time or another attempted to typeset the recipes in this file only to be overwhelmed. Since no one person is up to the task of immortalizing this life's work of recipes, it would be great if everyone participates. As you need recipes for different things you can take them and typeset them, or scan them however you would like to do them. Then post them on this site to contribute your part in all this.  Please add a label to your posts so we can eventually go in and organize by category. It was Nana's dream to have a book that would help us all with the various things we will make in our kitchens. She spent a lifetime perfecting her craft and was truly amazing. When we feel we have done her justice, we will organize a book and have copies printed for all of us. I hope as we contribute not only her recipes, but some of our own as well we will remember how much she loved to bring people together over good food. It will be such a tribute to her if we can enjoy this endeavor, enjoy each other and enjoy the memories we all have in our hearts.