11/4/08

Applesauce made easy!


Jonagold apples, a cross between Jonathan and Golden Delicious



Rome apples. I wish I had a picture of the cut ones. They had bright red swirls inside. Really pretty. They made the deepest pink applesauce I've ever seen.





The Squeezo Strainer is high on my list of most loved kitchen tools. Jade, Tracy, Papa and I made applesauce on Monday from 6 -48 pound boxes of apples. Five boxes were JonaGolds and one box were Rome apples. The apples are so beautiful this year and I love that the whole house smells like an orchard. The garage too since there are still apples out there waiting to be delicious pie apples and applesauce. We followed the instructions that came with the Squeezo and in about 4 hours we processed all 6 boxes into applesauce. After the fiasco we had last year trying to get apples into jars, this was a breeze. No peeling, coring, slicing. Just steam the apples tender and push them through the Squeezo for beautiful applesauce. The sauce comes out and goes down the funnel thing and the garbage goes out the other way for dumping. We used the regular size screen that came on it for the first 2 boxes. Then we put on the pumpkin screen for a coarser pulp and we liked that better. The Rome apples came out very very pink. I ended up mixing my 2 JonaGold boxes with my 1 Rome box for a pink blushed applesauce. I only added about 1 cup of sugar and a dash of cinnamon to a 12 qt. bucket of applesauce. The apples were really sweet enough on their own unless you have a sweet tooth. Tracy took her 3 boxes of JonaGolds home to can and I did my 3 boxes here into the canners. Three boxes of apples yielded 50 pints and 14 quarts. Maybe I will be crazy enough to try tomato sauce someday. Not any time soon though. I love this stuff.



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks like great sauce! I am loving that the machine made it so much easier for you! Looking forward to getting my apples done! You can just supervise, I don't want you on your feet all day when I come! Talk to you soon! Love ya!

Taya said...

Looks pretty!!!!!

Jade said...

I love the pink applesauce. Wanna trade?? lol!

The Recipe File

It was impossible to visit with Nana and not get into the recipe file. This is no small file. Tracy, Sydney and I have all at one time or another attempted to typeset the recipes in this file only to be overwhelmed. Since no one person is up to the task of immortalizing this life's work of recipes, it would be great if everyone participates. As you need recipes for different things you can take them and typeset them, or scan them however you would like to do them. Then post them on this site to contribute your part in all this.  Please add a label to your posts so we can eventually go in and organize by category. It was Nana's dream to have a book that would help us all with the various things we will make in our kitchens. She spent a lifetime perfecting her craft and was truly amazing. When we feel we have done her justice, we will organize a book and have copies printed for all of us. I hope as we contribute not only her recipes, but some of our own as well we will remember how much she loved to bring people together over good food. It will be such a tribute to her if we can enjoy this endeavor, enjoy each other and enjoy the memories we all have in our hearts.